Informations

Richmond II - Histoire

Richmond II - Histoire


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Richmond II

(StSlp : dp. 2604 ; 1. 225' ; né. 42'6" ; dr. 17'436" (moyenne), épl. 259
une. 1 80 livres D.sb., 20 9" D.sb., 30-pdr. 1'.r.)

Le deuxième Richmond, un sloop de guerre en bois, a été lancé le 26 janvier 1860 par le Norfolk Navy Yard parrainé par une Miss Robb. Richmond, commandé par le capitaine D. N. Ingraham, quitta Norfolk le 13 octobre 1860 pour la Méditerranée. À son retour à New York le 3 juillet 1861

la nation avait déjà été plongée dans la guerre civile, elle était donc immédiatement prête à prendre la mer. Son premier service de guerre a commencé le 31 juillet 1861 lorsqu'elle a navigué pour Kingston, en Jamaïque, à la recherche de l'insaisissable raider confédéré Sumter commandé par Raphael Semmes. En quittant Trinidad le 5 septembre, le Richmond croise le long de la côte sud de Cuba et autour du cap San Antonio. Semmes, cependant, atteignit la Nouvelle-Orléans et, le 22 août, Richmond était à Kingston pour reprendre le charbon. Parti le 25 août, le Richmond est arrivé à Key West le 2 septembre en route vers le nord pour rejoindre l'escadron de blocage du golfe.

Après avoir navigué devant Fort Piekens, Richmond reçut l'ordre de se rendre à la tête des cols à l'embouchure du Mississippi où elle patrouilla l'embouchure du fleuve pour maintenir le blocus. Le capitaine de Richmond devint commandant d'une petite flottille, qui comprenait le sloop de guerre, Preble, et le navire d'expédition, Water Witch. Les navires ont été emmenés à travers la barre à la tête des passes au cours de la première semaine d'octobre.

Dans l'obscurité du matin du 12, le bélier confédéré Manassas et trois vapeurs armés attaquèrent le Rich mond et ses consorts pour tenter de briser le blocus et d'empêcher l'Union de contrôler les approches terrestres dans la région de Head of the Passes. Fuyant sous le couvert de l'obscurité, les navires confédérés ont pris l'escadrille de l'Union par surprise. Richmond prenait du charbon de la goélette Joseph N. Y'oone, lorsque les Manassas ont percuté Richmond en creusant un trou dans le flanc du sloop. Passant à l'arrière, le bélier a essayé mais n'a pas réussi à toucher à nouveau Richmond avant de disparaître à l'arrière. Les artilleurs de Richmond ont cependant réussi une bordée complète de la batterie de bâbord, égalisant un peu le score.

Tandis que Vineennes et Preble se retiraient dans le col sud-ouest, Richmond couvrait leur retraite. Trois radeaux de pompiers confédérés ont ensuite été aperçus flottant sur la rivière et plusieurs grands vapeurs ont été aperçus à l'arrière d'eux. En tentant de traverser la barre, Vineennes et Richmond s'échouèrent et furent pris sous le feu des artilleurs confédérés à flot et à terre. Heureusement, le transport de l'armée, McClellan, est arrivé avec des canons rayés à longue portée prêtés par Fort Pickens et a stoppé la deuxième attaque confédérée.

Le Richmond croise ensuite au large de l'embouchure de la rivière, bloquant les forces confédérées et aidant les ingénieurs de l'armée à ériger des batteries sur les écheveaux des passages sud et sud-ouest. À la mi-novembre 1861, il retourne à Pensseola Boy pour des réparations temporaires. Le 22 novembre, Richmond rejoint le sloop de guerre Niagara et les canons de Fort Pickens pour bombarder Pensseola Navy Yard, les défenses confédérées de Fort McRae et la ville de Warrington. Le deuxième jour de tir, Richmond a fait un mort et sept blessés lorsqu'il a été touché à deux reprises par des tirs de rivage. Un obus a frappé vers l'avant, détruisant les filets de railinz et de hamac, et un à l'arrière du côté tribord "a dansé sous son comptoir, explosant à 4 pieds sous l'eau, endommageant son fond et provoquant de graves fuites. Riehmond s'est retiré à Key West et s'est démarqué de ce port le 27 novembre 1861 pour des réparations au New York Navy Yard.

Le Richmond quitta New York le 13 février 1862. Le Richmond rejoignit le West Gulf Bloekading Squadron au large de Ship Island le 5 mars alors que l'officier de pavillon Farragut se préparait à s'emparer de la Nouvelle-Orléans. Richmond franchit la barre le 24 mars avec la flotte et commença à se préparer pour la bataille.

Le 16 avril, la flotte de Farragut s'est déplacée vers une position au-dessous des forts Jackson et St. Philip. Montant plus de 100 canons, ces forts étaient les principales défenses côtières de la Nouvelle-Orléans. Les confédérés avaient également rassemblé une flottille de canonnières réquisitionnées et tentaient également de compléter le puissant bélier de servitude Louisiana. Ils comptaient en outre utiliser des navires de pompiers pour perturber le grand escadron de l'Union.

Cachée par les bois intermédiaires, la flottille de mortiers de l'Union sous le commandement du Comdr. David D. Porter a commencé un bombardement de 6 jours des forts confédérés le 18 avril 1862. Les confédérés ont commencé à envoyer des radeaux de feu en aval, et Richmond a rapporté en avoir esquivé un au petit matin du 21 avril qui « est passé entre nous et le Hartford, le grand des flammes jaillissant jusqu'aux mâts." Le 24 avril, la flotte de Farragut passe devant les forts engagés et bat la flottille confédérée, et continue en amont sur environ 12 milles. Bien que le Richmond ait été touché 17 fois au-dessus de la ligne de flottaison, son armure de chaîne a empêché de nombreux tirs et a limité ses pertes à deux tués et trois blessés. Richmond a débarqué son détachement de Marines à la Nouvelle-Orléans pour aider à maintenir l'ordre jusqu'à l'arrivée des troupes de l'armée du général Butler.

Richmond a aidé à prendre possession des installations militaires à Baton Rouge le 10 mai 18fi2. Quatre jours plus tard, il remonte la rivière, d'abord jusqu'à un point situé à 12 milles en dessous de la jonction de la rivière Rouge, de là au large de Natchez et enfin jusqu'à une position en dessous du bastion confédéré de Vicksburg le 18 juin 1862.

L'escadron de Farragut, avec Richmond en compagnie, a passé avec succès Vieksburg en échangeant un feu nourri le 28 juin 1862 et était présent lorsque la flotte de Farragut s'est jointe à la flottille occidentale du commodore Davis au-dessus de Vicksburg le 1er juillet 1862. Richmond a de nouveau subi deux morts et a été endommagé presque aussi gravement que pendant la campagne de la Nouvelle-Orléans. Le 15 juillet 1862, la casemate confédérée éperonne l'Arkansas hors de la rivière Yazoo et dépasse la flotte de l'Union au-dessus de Vicksburg. Bien que vivement poursuivi par le Richmond et d'autres navires, le bélier s'est échappé pour s'abriter sous les batteries confédérées à Vieksburg. La flotte de Farragut a de nouveau couru devant Vicksburg et Richmond a continué d'escorter les vapeurs de ravitaillement et de soutenir le bombardement à terre.

Dans l'un des engagements les plus féroces de la guerre, l'escadron de Farragut a tenté de passer les fortifications confédérées à Port Hudson à quelque 15 milles en amont de Baton Rouge le 14 mars 1863. Seuls Hartford et Albatross ont réussi à exécuter le gant, le reste de la flotte devant faire demi-tour. Richmond, clash l aux côtés de Genesee, a constaté qu'elle ne pouvait pas faire de progrès contre le courant fort alors qu'elle était sous le feu des batteries côtières. Son officier exécutif, le Comdr. Andrew B. Cummings, a été mortellement blessé. Le Richmond a été frappé peu après par un obus de 42 livres qui a rompu ses conduites de vapeur, remplissant la salle des machines et le pont de couchette de vapeur vive. Comme Genessee n'a pas pu remorquer le Richmond à contre-courant, les deux navires ont inversé leur cap, passant à nouveau sous un feu nourri du rivage. Les tentatives des troupes de l'armée de l'Union du général Banks pour prendre Port Hudson le 27 mai n'ont pas été plus fructueuses et les forces fédérales à flot et à terre se sont installées pour un long siège. Richmond a continué à accomplir des tâches exigeantes, fournissant occasionnellement des armes à feu et leurs équipages pour une utilisation à terre.

Pendant ce temps, des efforts acharnés pour prendre Vicksburg forcèrent finalement cette ville à se rendre au général Grant le 4 juillet 1863. Cinq jours plus tard, le Richmond et d'autres navires sous Port Hudson aidèrent les forces terrestres de l'Union à prendre possession de ce dernier bastion confédéré sur le Mississippi.

Le Richmond quitta la Nouvelle-Orléans le 30 juillet 1863 pour une révision bien méritée au New York Navy Yard.

Le 12 octobre 1863, il navigua vers le sud à Port Royal S.C. et à Key West, en Floride, avant de rejoindre l'escadre de l'amiral Farragut à la Nouvelle-Orléans le 1er novembre ; une quinzaine de jours plus tard, elle a commencé le blocus au large de Mobile, Ala.

Richmond était présent avec la flotte de Farragut lorsque l'assaut naval de l'épie contre Mobile Bay fut lancé le 5 août 1864. Pour cette attaque, Richmond fut arrimé à tribord de Port Royal et fit passer la flotte de l'autre côté de la barre. Fort Morgan ouvrit le feu et l'action fut bientôt générale. Quinze minutes plus tard, alors que les moniteurs se préparaient à rencontrer le bélier de casemate confédéré en défense Tennessee, le Tecumseh a heurté une « torpille » ou une mine amarrée et a coulé en quelques secondes. Puis Brooklyn, juste devant Richmond, a reculé en travers de l'étrave de Richmond afin de dégager « une rangée de bouées d'apparence suspecte ». Richmond et Port-Royal à leur tour passèrent à toute allure, provoquant le désarroi de toute la ligne de navires en bois. L'amiral Farragut à Hartford a décidé que le parcours le plus audacieux à travers les champs de torpilles était le seul possible et a donné son célèbre commandement « Au diable les torpilles… à toute vitesse ! En entrant dans la baie, Richmond a ouvert le feu sur les vapeurs confédérés Selma, Morgan, Gaines et Tennessee. Au même moment, la canonnière Metacomet, larguée de Hartford, capture le Selma. Peu de temps après, Port Royal a été envoyé après les invalides Gaines.

Tennessee a tenté en vain de percuter Brooklyn. Capable d'une très petite vitesse, le bélier sud a été soumis à un feu nourri de Hartford et de Richmond. Le Tennessee passa à l'arrière vers Fort Morgan alors que la flotte de Farragut avançait dans la baie loin du feu du fort. Le commandant du Tennessee, Franklin Buchanan, choisit de suivre et engagea tout l'escadron de l'Union.

Farragut l'a attaquée avec ses navires les plus puissants. Richmond a procédé de front avec Hartford et Brooklyn. Pendant plus d'une heure, le navire confédéré a été battu et même éperonné par Hartford. En milieu de matinée, Buchanan pouvait voir que son navire était une carcasse flottante et était entouré de forces beaucoup plus puissantes. En conséquence, un drapeau blanc a été hissé et le moniteur à double tourelle Chickasaw est passé à côté. Richmond n'a subi aucune perte dans l'action et seulement de légers dommages.

Cependant, Fort Morgan oppose toujours une résistance déterminée et Richmond rejoint l'escadron dans un bombardement constant de jour comme de nuit. Investi par les troupes de l'Union à terre, le fort capitule finalement le 23 août.

Richmond a continué à opérer dans la baie de Mobile et également dans la baie de Pensacola pendant un certain temps avant d'arriver au col sud-est du fleuve Mississippi le 23 avril 1865. Le même soir, le bélier confédéré Webb s'est précipité en aval de la rivière Rel pour tenter d'atteindre l'open mer. Passant avec succès les navires de l'Union à l'embouchure de la rivière Rouge et à la Nouvelle-Orléans, Webb n'a pas eu de chance à environ 25 milles au-dessous de la Nouvelle-Orléans. Poursuivi de près par les canonnières de l'Union derrière elle, Webb trouva Richmond gardant l'estuaire menant au golfe du Mexique. Pris au piège, Webb a été précipité à terre, incendié et fait exploser par son équipage.

Le Richmond quitta la Nouvelle-Orléans le 27 juin, arriva au Boston Navy Yard le 10 juillet et y fut désarmé le 14 juillet. En 1866, il fut équipé d'un nouvel ensemble de moteurs.

Remis en service à Boston le 11 janvier 1869, le Richmond part le 22 pour les eaux européennes. Arrivé à Lisbonne le 10 février, il a navigué dans divers ports méditerranéens pendant le reste de l'année et en 1870 a été stationné à Villefranehe et Marseille pour protéger les citoyens américains potentiellement mis en danger par la guerre franco-prussienne. Après la paix à Versailles, Richmond a de nouveau navigué sur la Méditerranée. Elle est revenue à Philadelphie le 1 novembre 1871 et a désarmé là le 8ème.

Sélectionné pour le service avec le West Indies Squadron, le Richmond est remis en service le 18 novembre 1872 et se démarque de Hampton Roads le 31 janvier 1873. Arrivé à Key West le 11 février, il inspecte les hauts-fonds près de Jupiter Inlet puis navigue dans les Antilles. Le 7 avril, il était à Santiago de Cuba pour aider à obtenir la libération des marins américains détenus par les Espagnols. Elle a ensuite fait escale à La Havane et à Matanzas avant de retourner à Key West à la fin du mois.

Commandé dans le Pacifique en mai, le Richmond passe le cap Horn et arrive à San Francisco le 28 novembre. Après des réparations, il quitta la Californie le 14 janvier 1874 en tant que navire amiral de la South Pacific Station. Tout au long de 1874 et 1875 elle a croisé la côte ouest de l'Amérique latine. En septembre 1876, il doubla à nouveau le cap Horn et, après avoir navigué au large de l'Uruguay et du Brésil, atteignit Hampton Roads le 22 août 1877. Le 18 septembre, il fut désarmé pour des réparations au Boston Navy Yard.

Recommandé le 19 novembre 1878, le prochain devoir de Richmond était comme navire amiral de la flotte asiatique. Au départ de Norfolk le 11 janvier 1879, Richmond passa dans la Méditerranée et par le canal de Suez, hissant le drapeau de l'Adm arrière. Thomas H. Patterson à Yokohama le 4 juillet 1879. Pendant 4 ans, Rich mond a navigué parmi les principaux ports de Chine, JaDan, et les Philippines, servant de navire amiral jusqu'au 19 décembre 1883 lorsque Trenton l'a relevé. Recevant un nouvel équipage à Panama en septembre 1880, le Richmond resta en poste jusqu'à son départ de Hong Kong pour les États-Unis le 9 avril 1884. Transitant à nouveau le canal de Suez, le Richmomd atteignit New York le 22 août et fut désarmé pour des réparations.

Complètement remanié, le Richmond fut remis en service à New York le 20 janvier 1887 pour servir sur la station de l'Atlantique Nord. En 1888, il navigua de Halifax à Trinidad. Le 27 juin 1888, elle est détachée pour le service extérieur.

En quittant Norfolk le 2 janvier 1889, le Richmond est affecté à la station de l'Atlantique Sud. Servant à nouveau de navire amiral de l'escadron, il croisa au large de l'Uruguay et du Brésil pendant plus d'un an, retournant à Hampton Roads le 28 juin 1890. Le 7 octobre, il arriva à Newport, RI, où il servit de navire-école jusqu'en 1893. L'année suivante, il à vapeur à Philadelphie; y servit de navire récepteur jusqu'en 1900, puis resta amarré à League Island jusqu'à ce qu'il soit commandé à Norfolk en 1903. À Norfolk, il servit d'auxiliaire au navire récepteur Franklin jusqu'à la fin de la Première Guerre mondiale.

Le Richmond fut rayé de la liste de la Navy le 31 juin 1919 et vendu à Joseph Hyman & Sons, Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie, le 23 juillet. Elle a été livrée à cette entreprise le 6 août pour rupture.


Industrialisation en Virginie

Le recensement de 1920 a révélé que, pour la première fois, plus d'Américains vivaient dans les zones urbaines que dans les zones rurales. En Virginie, cependant, cette transition historique ne s'est pas produite avant trente ans, ce n'est qu'en 1950 que le recensement a enregistré que la majorité des Virginiens vivaient dans des villes et des villages. Mais le processus d'urbanisation était en cours depuis des siècles.

Les Anglais ont encouragé l'urbanisation dans la Virginie coloniale, mais l'économie de plantation et le système de rivières bien développé de la Virginie ont milité contre la croissance des villes. Les villes de Virginie ont grandi lentement, mais elles ont grandi. En 1860, Richmond, Petersburg, Norfolk, Alexandria et Wheeling comptaient toutes plus de 30 000 habitants. Les villes de l'État étaient étroitement liées à la campagne qui les entourait. Avant et après la guerre civile, les villes servaient de marchés pour les produits agricoles locaux et fournissaient en retour des produits manufacturés.

Après la guerre civile, la population des villes a commencé à croître. Les affranchis ont migré vers les zones urbaines à la recherche de plus grandes opportunités. L'expansion des chemins de fer, alimentée par la capitale du Nord, a également encouragé la croissance urbaine. La fabrication du tabac, la minoterie et la minoterie et la transformation des produits agricoles sont restées les activités urbaines les plus importantes. Richmond est devenu un leader national dans la production de cigarettes. Danville et Martinsville, avec un accès facile au coton et à la laine du sud, sont devenus des centres textiles en plein essor. Martinsville est également devenu un centre de fabrication de meubles.

La révolution industrielle a également affecté la croissance des villes de Virginie. Les chemins de fer transportaient du charbon à travers l'État jusqu'à Norfolk et Newport News, qui devinrent des ports en plein essor. Hampton Roads devint une base navale et la construction navale devint une industrie importante. Dans les années 1920, Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company était le plus gros employeur de l'État.

L'amélioration des transports a permis aux villes de se développer physiquement. Après la guerre civile, les chariots étaient encore tirés par des animaux. L'accès aux villes centrales était difficile. Généralement, les gens les plus riches vivaient au centre-ville tandis que les classes populaires vivaient à la périphérie. Les chariots électriques ont changé cela. Les tramways électriques ont été introduits à Richmond en 1888 et rapidement adoptés par d'autres villes : Danville plus tard en 1888 et Norfolk en 1894. Les tramways ont rendu les terrains entourant la ville disponibles pour le développement suburbain, séparant davantage les lieux de travail des résidences. Cette expansion et cette séparation ont contribué à un autre phénomène du XIXe siècle : la ségrégation raciale. Alors que le centre-ville servait de centre d'activité et fournissait de l'emploi à tous, les quartiers résidentiels devenaient spécifiques à la race.

Au fur et à mesure que les villes se développaient, la demande de services a fait de même : eau, gaz, électricité, police et protection contre les incendies, et égouts. À Norfolk, le service téléphonique a été introduit en 1879 et l'éclairage électrique deux ans plus tard. En 1900, la plupart des maisons de Richmond étaient câblées pour l'électricité. En revanche, 90 pour cent des fermes de Virginie sont restées sans électricité jusqu'à la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

Les villes se sont également développées d'autres manières. Les zones adjacentes voulaient souvent être annexées afin de recevoir de meilleurs services. L'expansion de la ville de Norfolk par l'annexion—Brambleton en 1887 et Atlantic City en 1890—était typique de la période du début du siècle. Les villes étaient des centres commerciaux et les magasins du centre-ville fournissaient des produits aux résidents de la ville ainsi qu'à ceux de la région environnante. Les samedis étaient des journées chargées car les trains et les voitures amenaient des acheteurs, dont beaucoup parcouraient cinquante milles ou plus pour passer la journée en ville.

La population des zones urbaines de Virginie a augmenté de migrants de la campagne pendant les deux guerres mondiales. Les installations militaires, les usines de munitions, les usines chimiques et les usines de meubles se sont toutes développées. Le village de Hopewell est passé d'un hameau de 400 en 1916 à une ville de plus de 20 000 en quelques mois. Lorsqu'il a ouvert ses portes à Arlington en 1943, le Pentagone employait plus de personnes qu'il n'y en avait dans le comté deux ans plus tôt. Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, la guerre froide, avec son complexe militaro-industriel en expansion, a assuré la poursuite des dépenses fédérales et de l'industrie militaire en Virginie.

L'ère d'après-guerre a également entraîné une banalisation accrue et a inauguré une période de deux décennies de prospérité croissante. La construction de nouvelles maisons a explosé et les jeunes familles ont quitté les villes centrales surpeuplées. La périurbanisation s'est encore accentuée avec la déségrégation des écoles publiques, surtout après la mise en place généralisée du bus dans les années 1970. La fuite blanche a été suivie par l'exode de nombreux résidents afro-américains de la classe moyenne des villes centrales. Les magasins de détail se sont également déplacés vers les banlieues, s'installant souvent dans des centres commerciaux, appelés plus tard centres commerciaux.

En 1990, plus de 80 pour cent de tous les Virginiens résidaient dans les 41 villes de l'État et 188 villes constituées en société. La moitié de la population de l'État vit désormais en Virginie du Nord et dans la région de Hampton Roads. Sur environ un million de Virginiens qui vivent dans les zones rurales, seulement environ 60 000 sont des agriculteurs ou des ouvriers agricoles. Cela représente moins de 1% de la population.

Enseignants: Visitez Enseigner avec des photographies pour des questions à poser à vos étudiants sur l'industrialisation en Virginie.


Quiz sur l'histoire de l'autoroute de Richmond II : Retour à l'école

L'école primaire Woodlawn a ouvert ses portes à son emplacement actuel en 1938 dans ce bâtiment.

Les vacances ne sont plus qu'un souvenir et la rentrée scolaire bat son plein (si le temps le permet). Alors, quel meilleur moment pour tester vos connaissances sur l'histoire des écoles de la région de Richmond Highway.

Quiz sur l'histoire de l'autoroute de Richmond II

Une fois que vous avez répondu au quiz, voici un bref aperçu de l'histoire des écoles de la région de Richmond Highway (pas de spoilers de quiz inclus).

Certaines des écoles les plus anciennes du comté de Fairfax se trouvent dans cette région, certaines ayant leurs racines au XIXe siècle. Comme la plupart du comté, la région était en grande partie rurale pendant la première moitié du 20e siècle, et la plupart des écoles étaient très petites. L'une des écoles à classe unique, la Groveton School, se trouve encore aujourd'hui sur Popkins Lane et appartient maintenant à l'église catholique St. Louis.

L'école Groveton a été construite à la fin des années 1800 et vendue au diocèse catholique de Richmond dans les années 1920 après qu'elle soit devenue trop petite.

En 1939, l'un des bâtiments les plus reconnaissables de l'autoroute, la première école secondaire de Mount Vernon, a ouvert ses portes. Ce n'était que le troisième lycée de tout le comté à l'époque. Il faudrait 17 ans avant qu'une autre école secondaire n'ouvre dans la région de la Route 1.

Extrait de l'annuaire du lycée Groveton de 1959. Cliquez pour agrandir.

La grande majorité des écoles de la région de la route 1 ont été ouvertes lors d'un boom démographique dans les années 1950 et 1960. En moins de 20 ans, plus d'une douzaine de nouvelles écoles primaires et cinq nouveaux collèges et lycées ont été construits.

La période a également vu l'intégration des écoles, mettant fin à une ère où les Afro-Américains vivant dans la région de la Route 1 avaient peu d'options pour l'éducation publique, en particulier aux niveaux intermédiaire et secondaire. Bien que Brown v. Board of Education ait invalidé les écoles « séparées mais égales » en 1954, ce serait bien dans les années 1960 avant que toutes les écoles du comté ne soient intégrées.

Extrait de l'annuaire de 1977 de Mount Vernon. Cliquez pour agrandir.

À partir des années 1970, la population d'âge scolaire dans la région de la route 1 s'est stabilisée et a commencé à baisser. Cette baisse s'est poursuivie de la fin des années 1970 aux années 1980. Cela a conduit à des fermetures soudaines et à des fusions entre les écoles, y compris dans certaines écoles qui n'étaient ouvertes que depuis peu de temps. Les choix faits ont été controversés, rien de plus qu'une fusion de deux lycées qui est toujours un point sensible pour beaucoup de ceux qui l'ont vécu.


La transformation silencieuse de Richmond

Pendant la majeure partie du 20e siècle, les quartiers où les gens vivaient et travaillaient à Richmond - même les limites de la ville - ont été façonnés par la race. Pendant des décennies après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les dirigeants de la ville ont mené une bataille très médiatisée pour maintenir ce système et empêcher la population de la ville de devenir majoritairement noire. Ces dernières années, Richmond a connu sa transformation démographique la plus importante depuis l'après-guerre, mais cette fois, le changement s'est produit beaucoup plus discrètement. Pourquoi?

Plan des travaux publics de 1923 de Richmond montrant les quartiers noirs

L'histoire est un cauchemar
Bien que Richmond ait eu une importante population noire pendant une grande partie de son histoire, jusqu'à la fin de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les Noirs représentaient généralement environ un tiers de la population de la ville, la plupart des résidents noirs étant séparés dans les blocs immédiatement au nord de Broad Street. Au début du 20 e siècle, de nombreux Noirs de Virginie ont commencé à quitter les comtés ruraux vers le nord pour échapper à la misère et à une multitude de lois Jim Crow qui les discriminaient. Au départ, de nombreux Noirs ont déménagé dans les villes du nord où de meilleurs emplois étaient disponibles, et ils espéraient que la discrimination serait moins persistante. Mais Richmond est devenu de plus en plus attrayant après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, alors que pendant plusieurs années, son économie a connu la croissance la plus rapide du pays.

Pourcentage de noir par localité

Alors que de plus en plus de Noirs venaient des comtés de Virginie à Richmond, de plus en plus de résidents blancs ont quitté la ville. La construction d'autoroutes à travers des quartiers principalement noirs n'a fait qu'alimenter cette tendance car elle a permis à davantage de résidents blancs de quitter la ville et de revenir facilement travailler, tandis que les résidents noirs déplacés ont souvent emménagé dans des quartiers autrefois blancs. Certains quartiers, comme autour de Church Hill, sont passés de 75 % de blancs à 95 % de noirs entre 1950 et 1960.

Nettoyage des quartiers à prédominance noire à Shockoe Bottom et Valley pour la construction de l'Interstate 95 en 1957

En 1960, la population de Richmond avait commencé à décliner alors que les Blancs quittaient la ville en masse pour les banlieues, mais la population noire de la ville continuait de croître, atteignant 42% de la population. À une époque où la plupart des lois Jim Crow restaient en vigueur, la perspective d'avoir bientôt une ville à majorité noire était alarmante pour les dirigeants de Richmond. Pour diminuer le pouvoir de vote des Noirs, Richmond a demandé à annexer des banlieues à prédominance blanche dans les comtés voisins et à transformer son conseil municipal en un système général.

Bien que les annexions de Richmond aient été fortement contestées, la Cour suprême a finalement statué que les annexions étaient davantage motivées par la nécessité d'arrêter le déclin de la population de la ville que de diluer les votes de la population noire de Richmond. Malgré l'annexion, en 1977, la population de Richmond était majoritairement noire et la ville a élu son premier maire noir.

Au cours des années 1980, de nombreux résidents noirs de Richmond ont également commencé à quitter la ville pour les comtés voisins à la recherche de nouveaux logements, de quartiers plus sûrs et de meilleures écoles. Avec ses résidents blancs et noirs quittant la ville, la population de Richmond a diminué de plus de 20 %, passant d'environ 250 000 en 1970 à 194 000 au milieu des années 2000.

La fin de l'histoire
Depuis que sa population a atteint son point le plus bas au milieu des années 2000, Richmond a rapidement rebondi, sa population atteignant plus de 213 000 l'année dernière. Les nouvelles constructions à Richmond ont triplé par rapport aux niveaux du début des années 2000. Au cours des dernières années, il y a eu autant de nouvelles maisons construites à Richmond que dans les comtés voisins.

Population historique de Richmond par race

Comme ce fut le cas lors du dernier changement important dans la population de Richmond, la migration blanche a alimenté une grande partie de la tendance. Cependant, cette fois, la migration a eu lieu dans la ville, la population blanche de Richmond ayant augmenté de 30 % depuis 2005. La population noire de Richmond a également recommencé à croître depuis le milieu des années 2000, mais beaucoup plus lentement. Le résultat de ce changement de tendance a été que peu de temps après le recensement de 2010, les Noirs de Richmond ne constituaient plus la majorité de la population, bien que les Noirs représentaient plus de 57% de la population de la ville en 2000.

Population de Richmond distribuée par race

Un certain nombre d'autres villes des États-Unis ont également vu la partie noire de leur population passer en dessous de 50 pour cent ces dernières années. La population noire de Saint-Louis est tombée en dessous de 50 % à la fin des années 2000, car nombre de ses résidents noirs ont déménagé dans des banlieues telles que Ferguson. Lorsque le recensement de 2010 a montré que les Noirs ne constituaient plus la majorité de la population de Washington D.C, le changement a reçu beaucoup d'attention dans les médias.

Bien que la transformation récente de Richmond ait été difficile à manquer, elle n'a pas reçu autant de publicité pour plusieurs raisons. La proportion noire de la population de Washington a diminué, en partie parce que d'autres groupes ont emménagé dans la ville, mais aussi parce que 40 000 résidents noirs ont quitté la ville, dont beaucoup ont estimé qu'ils ne pouvaient plus se permettre d'y vivre. En revanche, la population noire de Richmond a en fait augmenté, mais sa part de la population totale a diminué en raison de la croissance beaucoup plus rapide d'autres groupes.

La population noire de Richmond n'augmente pas aussi rapidement que la population totale, en grande partie parce que les Noirs de la région métropolitaine de Richmond restent concentrés de manière disproportionnée dans la ville en raison de la ségrégation. Maintenant, la concentration de Noirs commence à diminuer en 2000, 13 secteurs de recensement à Richmond étaient noirs à plus de 95 pour cent, mais en 2013, seuls 4 de ces secteurs de recensement étaient encore noirs à plus de 95 pour cent. Au cours de cette même période, la population noire dans les comtés de banlieue de la région métropolitaine de Richmond a augmenté rapidement, car de nombreux résidents noirs de la ville ont déménagé vers eux.

Pourcentage de noir par secteur de recensement

À plus long terme, il est peu probable que la ville retrouve une majorité noire ou blanche. Bien que la population noire de Richmond ait augmenté lentement ces dernières années, le nombre de personnes vivant à Richmond qui se décrivent comme étant plus d'une race a triplé depuis 2000 pour atteindre un peu moins de 9 000. Cela est probablement dû en partie au fait que la Virginie a le taux de mariage entre Noirs et Blancs le plus élevé du pays, mais aussi parce que l'identité raciale signifie de moins en moins aujourd'hui, de nombreuses personnes s'identifient à plus d'une race, certaines écrivant même dans leur propre race. . Compte tenu de la publicité reçue par le dernier changement démographique majeur à Richmond, le manque d'attention accordé à l'actuel révèle à quel point Richmond lui-même a changé.


Richmond II - Histoire


UNE ENQUÊTE DE
GOUVERNEMENT CENTRAL CONFÉDÉRÉ
VESTES QUARTERMASTER ISSUE
Partie 2


VESTES RICHMOND DEPOT

FIG. 1
Les trois types de vestes Richmond Depot

Il est assez difficile de déterminer le premier patron de veste émis par le dépôt de Richmond. Apparemment, aucun n'a survécu, mais sur la base de preuves photographiques, et plus tard de la pratique de Richmond, on pense que le premier modèle de veste, désigné ici le Richmond Depot Type I, était une veste avec un corps en six pièces et des manches en deux pièces, avec un bouton neuf. devant, bretelles et probablement passants de ceinture. Il n'y avait généralement pas de boutons sur les poignets. La doublure était probablement un coton osnaburg. Le point distinctif de la première veste à motif, et la caractéristique qui la distinguait de la Type II, était qu'elle était garnie sur le col, les bretelles et les poignets de ruban ou de passepoil. Cependant, étant donné que tous ces détails doivent être soit glanés à partir de photographies, soit déduits d'une pratique ultérieure, il reste encore beaucoup à discuter. De plus, parce que ces vestes ont été produites pendant la période de commutation officielle, elles peuvent très bien avoir eu des différences individuelles créées par les demandes des commandants d'unité. Une note interne écrite au commandant du bureau du vêtement en 1862 en est une bonne indication :

"Col. Starke souhaite une rayure sur le pantalon pour son Regt. une barre sur l'épaule à rajouter au prix du cours. Vous êtes autorisé à vous conformer à sa volonté. " 49

Plus important encore, il existe des preuves convaincantes que ce modèle de base a été copié par des fabricants non gouvernementaux, de sorte que des vestes de modèle très similaire existaient à la même période et n'étaient clairement pas des produits Quartermaster. 50


Figure 2
Le trompettiste en chef Charles H. Powell,
Co. F, 4e cavalerie de Virginie
portant une veste Richmond Depot Type I

Une photographie de Charles H. Powell, 4th Virginia Cavalry, prise le 22 février 1862 (ci-dessus) est l'un des premiers éléments de preuve à montrer ce modèle. Comme les vestes Richmond ultérieures, la matière est plutôt épaisse et les bords semblent être surpiqués. Il semble être fait d'une laine grise plutôt claire. La garniture sur les bretelles de Powell est du ruban adhésif placé sur la surface de la sangle, tout comme le col, mais les poignets peuvent être passepoilés.


FIG. 3
Soldat d'artillerie non identifié
dans la veste Richmond Depot Type I

FIGURE 4
Sergent Austin S. Morris (à gauche)
et ami. Morris porte un
Veste Richmond Depot Type I
(photo de Charles Rees à Richmond)

Figure 5
Sergent Thomas Crowder Owens,
9e d'infanterie de Virginie

Il existe un certain nombre de photographies de soldats, principalement de Virginie, photographiés à Richmond portant cette même veste avec une bordure passepoilée ou collée, ou une combinaison des deux. Un soldat d'artillerie non identifié photographié par Charles Rees de Richmond montre cette veste (FIG 3), tout comme une autre photographie de Rees d'une paire de sergents de Lynchburg, Virginie, Austin S. Morris et Richard A. Williams. À l'exception de la taille des boutons, la veste portée par Morris semble être identique au modèle en discussion (FIG 4). A photograph of Sergeant Thomas Crowder Owens of the 9th Virginia Infantry, who was killed at Gettysburg, also shows this pattern uniform (FIG 5).


FIG 6
Private William Moore and friend,
Parker's Virginia Battery, Spring 1862 in Richmond Depot Type I jackets

FIG 7
Corporal Theodore C. "Doc" Howard,
Parker's battery


A photograph of Private William Moore and a friend of Parker's Battery, probably taken in the Spring of 1862, shows the Type I in a rougher, darker material with tape trim (FIG 5), as does a photograph of Corporal T.C. Howard, also of Parker's Battery (FIG 6). Other photographs are known from other units showing this same pattern. All of these photographs are a strong indication that the Type I Jacket, with variations, was being produced by the Richmond Depot at least as early as February, 1862.

Although no example of the depot product of the Type I appears to have survived, an extremely intriguing jacket does exist that is probably a tailor's copy of it. Its construction details are not typical of those later produced by the depot and appear to be more typical of a civilian tailor than those resulting from the putting-out system used by the depot. It would be logical and tempting to attribute this uniform tc either a regimental issue or North Carolina state issue, and it may be. If so, however, this jacket is so strikingly similar to those in the photographs cited above, particularly those of Owens and Morris, that there must be a relationship.


FIG 8
Jacket of Sergeant E.C.N. Vert
of the 47th North Carolina State Troops

The jacket in question was worn by Sergeant E.C.N. Green of the 47th North Carolina State Troops, who was killed 1 July 1863 at Gettysburg (FIG 7). Sergeant Green's jacket is made of a very fine quality cadet gray cloth, and is lined in light brown silesia in the body and light blue cotton in the sleeves. It is trimmed around the collar, on the edges of the shoulder straps and at the cuffs with 1/4" dark blue cotton tape. It has eight large script "I" buttons down the front manufactured by S. Isaacs and Campbell, two small buttons of the same type at the shoulder straps, and two at each non functioning cuff. There are no belt loops. Sergeant Green's chevrons have been separately applied, each stripe being made of 1/2" wide black velvet. The ends of the chevrons extend into the sleeve seam, indicating they were put on before the sleeves were closed. 51 These chevrons are virtually identical to those of Sergeant Morris.

The Richmond Depot Type II jacket is characterized by a nine-button front, no buttons on the cuffs, top-stitched edges, shoulder straps, belt loops on each hip, an unbleached cotton osnaburg lining and interior pockets. It has a six piece body and two piece sleeves. Generally, it has no trim, although examples with partial trim do exist. In the early stages of production, it was probably made concurrently with the Type I, since, after all, it is only a Type I without the trim. Gradually, however, it superceded the Type I to become the only pattern produced, until it was itself replaced by the Type III. It appears to have been produced by Captain Weisiger's operation from at least the Spring of 1862 until at least mid 1864.

Seven of these jackets have survived, and there are a num ber of identified and datable photographs that show them in use. Because these jackets were produced over a considerable period of time, and because they were made from materials available at different times, variations in the coat material and the number of buttons have been noted.


FIG 9
Type II Richmond jacket of Private John Blair Royal, 1st Co., Richmond howitzers.
Note the piped shoulder straps.

The example shown above was worn by Private John Blair Royal of the 1st Company, Richmond Howitzers. He had it on when he was wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May, 1863. The left sleeve shows the mark of the incoming Union shell that hit Royal and killed another man on his gun crew. Royal apparently preserved the jacket as a souvenir of his close escape, and did not use it subsequently, for the hole shows neither a repair nor an indication of further wear. Therefore, this jacket is a rare survival from the mid part of the war, and helps to establish the dating for this pattern. Made of a rough wool/cotton combination material, it has red piping on the shoulder straps, and displays the six piece body, two piece sleeves, nine button front, plain cuffs, osnaburg lining and belt loops that characterize the pattern. 52


FIG 10
Sergeant John French White
Co . K, 32nd Virginia Infantry
15 May 1863

FIG 11
Ernest Hudgins,
Mathews County, Virginia

A photograph of Sergeant John French White, Company K, 32d Virginia Infantry, taken 15 May 1863, shows this same pattern, and again aids in dating. (FIG 10) White had evidently drawn this jacket in February upon returning from furlough, although his regiment drew 75 jackets on 4 April and another 60 on 26 May. Whether the one in the photo was drawn in February or April, it came through the Army of Northern Virginia's main supply source, the Richmond Depot. Like the Royal jacket, it had a nine button front and shoulder straps 53


FIG 12
E.A. Timberlake,
Laurel Brigade

FIG 13
Pvt Alexander Harris,
Parker's Virginia Battery.
He was discharged 1 Nov. 1862

FIG 14
Private C.J. Rush,
Co. E, 21st Georgia Infantry
Photo taken after 17May 1865
at Lincoln General Hospital

Other photographs of Army of Northern Virginia soldiers wearing these jackets include those of Ernest Hudgins, of Mathews County, Virginia (FIG 11), E.A. Timberlake of the Laurel Brigade (FIG 12), Alexander Hams of Parker's Battery (FIG 13) and Private C.J. Rush of the 21st Georgia (FIG 14). In addition, there are a number of photographs of unidentified soldiers, some demonstrably taken in Richmond, that show the same jacket. 54

The photographs of Harris and Rush are of particular importance. Harris was discharged from the army 1 November 1862, 55 and it is likely that his photograph had been taken the previous spring when his battery was mustered in. The photograph of Rush, who was captured at Fort Stedman on 25 March 1865, was taken sometime after 17 May 1865 when he was admitted to Lincoln General Hospital in Washington, D.C. In Rush's case, the jacket may have been one which was already at the hospital when he arrived, for two photographs of Private Rush exist, and he wears a different jacket in each. As a possible indication that the jacket was not originally his, it should be noted that the buttons on the Type II Richmond jacket worn by Rush are Mississippi infantry pattern. Rush, of course, served in a Georgia regiment. 56


FIG 15
Confederate prisoners at White House, Virginia in June, 1864

Thus, the Type II Richmond Depot jacket may have been in production as early as the Spring of 1862, judging from Harris' picture, with the transition between the trimmed Type I and the untrimmed Type II being somewhat gradual and overlapping. The Type II was certainly in use in 1863 and 1864, based on the White photograph and also on the well known view of Confederate prisoners captured at Cold Harbor in June, 1864, in which the majority wear jackets with shoulder straps and belt loops (FIG 15). At least three of the dead Confederates photographed at Fort Mahone in April, 1865 have shoulder straps on their jackets, although the majority do not 57 Therefore, at least some of these jackets were still in service at the end of the war.

A Type II jacket worn by Private George N. Bernard of the 12th Virginia was made of a rough, dark greenish gray woolen material. The lining, however, was the cotton osnaburg to be expected in this pattern. It had a nine button front and belt loops, and once had shoulder straps. These straps had been deliberately cut off, probably during service, but the ends were still in the shoulder seam. 58


FIG 16
Richmond type II jacket

Another jacket of this same pattern, but in heavy wool cadet gray kersey surfaced in early 1988. Unfortunately without a solid history, it is believed to be a part of this group based upon the overall pattern, the button count, the shoulder straps, belt loops and lining and the fact that this kersey material saw extensive use in the Army of Northern Virginia late in the war (FIG 16).


FIG 17
Richmond Type II Jacket
worn by William Ramsey, 17th Va. Infantry

Finally, a jacket of the same pattern, but without the belt loops is in the Smithsonian collection. Itwas worn by Private G. William Ramsey, 17th Virginia Infantry (FIG 17). Ramsey joined the 17th Virginia in November, 1863 and served until the end of the war. Clothing rolls which might date the issue of this particular jacket to Ramsey do not exist, but because he surrendered at Appomattox and apparently wore the jacket home, it probably dates to the last six months of the war. This particular jacket may be a transition piece both because it lacks belt loops and because it is made of heavy cadet gray kersey. 59 As will be seen, this kersey material was used almost exclusively in the Type III Richmond Depot jacket, which dates to the last part of the war. This, plus the fact that the same material is found in a group of Irish-made jackets described below, argues strongly that this gray kersey is English-made cloth run through the blockade.

Another jacket of the same type, also without the belt loops, was used by J. Rhodes Duval of the 62d Georgia Partisan Rangers, which served in Lee's army from May until July, 1864, when it was disbanded. Duval's coat is identical to the others except that it has been trimmed with yellow wool challee. The shoulder straps have been cut off. 60

Captain George Pettigrew Bryan of the 2d North Carolina Cavalry wore a Richmond Type II jacket similar to Duval's except that it was made of a rough gray tabby weave wool. Like Duval's, it has been piped, this time in a yellow worsted cord. Bryan used this jacket sometime between his promotion to captain in 1863 and his death on 16 August 1864. 61

The last jacket in this group has the most radical departure from the pattern, in that it has only six buttons down the front. Made of a thin cadet gray wool with an unusual weave, it is lined with the expected osnaburg, has the belt loops and once had shoulder straps, again cut off. This jacket was worn by George H.T. Greer, Military Secretary to General Jubal A. Early. He had it on when he was wounded at Summerville Ford, Virginia on 17 September 1863. 62

The troops' practice of removing shoulder straps and belt loops, seen in the Bernard, Duval and Greer jackets, may have been the impetus behind the production of the Type III. This pattern is identical to the Type II except that it lacks shoulder straps and belt loops. All of those found thus far are made of heavy cadet grey kersey. Otherwise, the pattern, lining, button count and other characteristics are identical to the Type II.

At least fourteen of these jackets survive, indicating widespread issue. This high survival rate, plus the "last uniform" rule, indicates that this must be the last pattern issued to Lee's army from the depot.


FIG 18
Richmond Depot type III jacket
worn by E.F. Barnes, 1st Co., Richmond Howitzers

The jacket worn by E.F. Barnes, 1st Company Richmond Howitzers, is a good example of the type (FIGs 19, 20). Made of cadet gray wool kersey, it is lined in the standard cotton osnaburg used by the depot. The nine buttons on the front, seven of which are Virginia state seals and two New York, are probably period replacements. The jacket shares the six piece body and two piece sleeves common to the depot. 63 Barnes was paroled 17 April 1865 at Richmond. 64

A circular from the Adjutant & Inspector General's Office dated 3 June 1862 allowed officers to wear a fatigue uniform in the field consisting of a plain frock coat or a gray jacket, without embroidery "on the collar only." The convoluted language of this order probably meant, or at least seems to have been interpreted to mean, that only collar insignia and not sleeve braid must be worn. 65 An 1864 General Order allowed officers to draw enlisted clothing once all the men had been supplied. 66 Two examples of Type III jackets acquired in this manner by officers have survived, one with an interesting modification that allows close dating.


FIG 19
Richmond type III jacket
worn by Brigadier General William Fitzhugh Payne

A jacket worn by Brigadier General William Fitzhugh Payne is a standard Type III with the addition of colonel's stars on the collar (FIG 21). The original infantry buttons still remain on the jacket, despite the fact that Payne was a cavalry officer. 67


FIG 20
Richmond type III jacket
of Lt ThomasTolson,
2nd Maryland Infantry

2d Lt Thomas Tolson of the 2d Maryland Infantry wore a Type III jacket adorned only with his rank insignia on the collar. The lining in Tolson's uniform is most unusual, consisting of heavy gray blanket material. A clue to this feature was Tolson's diary entry for 10 February 1865: "Pay $100 to have my jacket and pants fixed in Petersburg. The weather wet and very cold." 68 Otherwise Tolson's jacket is identical to the others [see Ross Kimmel's article in this issue, FIG 9 for a photograph of this jacket].

Other known Type III jackets are listed in the footnotes. All of them date from 1864 or 1865 and all are attributable to elements of the Army of Northern Virginia. 69

This article was originally published in the Fall and Winter 1989 issues of The Military Collector & Historian.


Queen's Richmond brooch worn to husband's funeral is 'nostalgic' and has 'long history'

Lien copié

Prince Philip funeral: Expert praises 'formidable' Queen

Lorsque vous vous abonnez, nous utiliserons les informations que vous fournissez pour vous envoyer ces newsletters. Parfois, ils incluront des recommandations pour d'autres newsletters ou services connexes que nous proposons. Notre avis de confidentialité explique plus en détail comment nous utilisons vos données et vos droits. Vous pouvez vous désinscrire à tout moment.

The Queen is rarely seen without a brooch on her lapel, usually worn to complement her strikingly bright outfits. But Her Majesty&rsquos brooches are more than just pieces of beautiful jewellery: they symbolise deeper meanings and reveal significant aspects of the Queen&rsquos life.

Articles Liés

LIRE LA SUITE

Her Majesty not only has a vast brooch collection, but it is also one of the most impressive selections in the world.

It is thought that the monarch has up to around 100 brooches, with special ones on regular rotation.

Charlotte White, Head of Design at 77 Diamonds, Europe&rsquos largest online jeweller, commented on the Queen&rsquos much-loved jewels.

She said: &ldquoThe Queen&rsquos spectacular and extensive collection of brooches spans world-record breaking, historical and sentimental pieces.&rdquo

The brooch has a pearl-drop attachment that can be removed (Image: GETTY )

One of Queen Elizabeth&rsquos most valuable jewels is the Queen Mary Richmond brooch.

This brooch is thought to be the largest of Her Majesty&rsquos collection.

Whenever the Queen wears the special brooch, it is immediately noticeable, not only because of its large size, but also because of its sparkling diamonds.

The brooch features a large pearl at its centre surrounded by diamonds.

Tendance

There is also a detachable pear-shaped pearl drop.

However, the Queen does not always wear the brooch with the pearl drop attached, and she chose not to for her husband&rsquos funeral on April 17.

According to Charlotte White, this may be because Her Majesty wanted to seem &ldquoless extravagant&rdquo.

Charlotte said: &ldquoThe brooch consists of dazzling diamonds set with two pearls &ndash one large round central one, and a detachable pear-shaped drop &ndash which the Queen chose to forgo for Prince Philip&rsquos funeral, perhaps to seem less extravagant.

Queen Elizabeth wore the Richmond brooch to Prince Philip's funeral in April (Image: GETTY )

LIRE LA SUITE

&ldquoThe long history of the piece, signifying family events, formal engagements and weddings, as well as memories of the Queen&rsquos early reign with Prince Phillip, made it a symbolic and sentimental choice for the funeral of her husband and royal partner of 73 years,&rdquo the jewellery expert added.

The Richmond brooch belonged to Her Majesty&rsquos grandmother, Queen Mary.

Made by Hunt and Roskell, it was given to Mary as a wedding present in 1893 by the town of Richmond, in the suburbs of London.

Mary&rsquos family, the Tecks, had lived at White Lodge in Richmond Park for more than two decades.

Articles Liés

Queen Elizabeth II was crowned in 1953 (Image: EXPRESS)

Queen Mary first wore the brooch during her honeymoon at Osborne House.

It was later given to Elizabeth in 1953, when she was crowned as the Queen.

Although the monarch wore it sparingly in the first years of her reign, it has become a more staple piece in her brooch collection in recent years.

Most notably, Her Majesty wore the jewel to the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.


In 1942, the Army Built a Decoy Airfield in Virginia to Fool the Luftwaffe

In late 1942, a wooded tract of land in Henrico County, Virginia, five miles southeast of Richmond’s airport, Byrd Field, was invaded by the U.S. Army’s 936th Camouflage Battalion. Using bulldozers, the troops cut and graded dummy runways to create a near-exact imitation of Byrd’s triangular layout and maze of taxiways.

The field, recorded in land registries as the Elko Tract, soon appeared to be populated by aircraft, hangars, and vehicles—all fakes, assembled using techniques dreamed up by Hollywood set directors at the start of the war. The buildings were canvas backdrops. The trucks were cloth and wire, so light you could pick them up and carry them. The airplanes were plywood, propped on “landing gear” made from two-by-fours. Servicemen trimmed the surrounding brush to leave P-47–shaped silhouettes.

Constructed in response to fear of attack by German aircraft, which were being manufactured with ever-increasing range, Virginia’s decoy airfield was little more than a stage set, but its planners hoped it was convincing when viewed from on high by an anxious Luftwaffe bombardier. In the event of a night raid, Richmond’s city lights would be darkened. Then the dummy field, lit and apparently vulnerable, could mislead the crew of approaching aircraft into releasing their bombs, sparing the city of Richmond, its crucial ports, and its real airfield, which had recently been converted to a U.S. Army flight training base. And should the ploy prove so convincing, some of the field’s fake structures concealed real anti-aircraft guns.

Camp life at the installation, however, was not staged. Soldiers from the Army’s 1896th Engineering Aviation Battalion were stationed there among their missions was routinely trundling things about to feign the activity of a real air base. They later recalled cold winters in flimsy Quonset huts.

Both Allied and Axis forces made considerable use of similar decoys, often successfully diverting attacks, though one (possibly apocryphal) tale recounts a Nazi site where fake wooden airplanes were assaulted by equally fake wooden Allied bombs, a wry way of telling the enemy the ruse wasn’t working. In Burbank, California, a Lockheed aircraft assembly plant was camouflaged to resemble suburbs from above Boeing disguised a Seattle plant the same way. But such efforts were curtailed later in the war, when it became clear they were unneeded. Hermann Goering’s “America Bomber” project never materialized the Nazis couldn’t carry blitzkrieg that far.

In March 1944, the 1896th was sent to the Pacific, where the troops built real air fields (wearing insignias emblazoned “L-K-O,” to honor their deceptive origins).

In the cold war years, the Virginia site was used as a bombing target. Markings on sectional charts warned pilots of the “Dummy airfield—for bombing practice only.” Dubbed The Lost City by residents around Henrico (who circulate various conspiracy theories about its origins), the base’s most visible remains, including roads leading nowhere and an ominous water tower, were built after the war, detritus from a failed attempt to build—of all things—a psychiatric facility.

The adjoining grounds are now a modern industrial park, producing semiconductors and other modern sundries. Yet when viewed from the air, stretches of the decoy field’s triangular runways still peek through the trees, and a marker along a nearby highway reveals this once-secret tale of war and deception.

Long ago returned to the city, the airfield that Elko’s fake defenses once protected is today Richmond International Airport the military, in the form of a Virginia National Guard unit equipped with F-16s, departed in 2007. Now overseas travelers arrive in Richmond daily—and only on the friendliest of terms.

Aerospace engineer Nick D’Alto reveals his current position as the south shore of Long Island, New York (but that might be a decoy).


First Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia (1780- )

The First Baptist Church, founded in 1780 by Joshua Morris, emerged in the aftermath of the Great Awakening religious revival movement (1730s-1770s) that spread across the South. In contrast to the other churches in Richmond organized during the same time, the First Baptist attracted both black and white congregants in the hundreds, while neighboring houses of worship could only count a handful of followers.

First Baptist greatly appealed to slave and free-born blacks because of its liturgical message of egalitarianism by stressing the individual’s efforts for rebirth and conversion, rather than infant baptism. Furthermore, the sermons and messages were accessible to even those who could not read. Baptist ministers expressed sin and salvation in physical terms: the weight of sin, the burning fires of hell, and the cleanliness and purity of conversion.

More importantly, however, were the unusual leadership and educational opportunities the church offered to black members during the antebellum era. African American members who had notable preaching skills were allowed to perform funeral sermons and to give opening prayers at Sunday services regularly. Distinguished nineteenth-century Reverends Lott Cary and John Jasper, for example, gained experience and honed their skills through the First Baptist Church. Black members were also selected to serve as deacons to minister to the African American congregation. Further surprising was the school within the church to teach reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Bible to anyone including slave and free-born black residents unfortunately these activities were banned following Nat Turner’s rebellion. Finally, under the auspices of the First Baptist, the Richmond African Missionary Society was created (in 1815) and the first representative of this organization to go to Africa was none other than Reverend Lott Cary.

Though the First Baptist did offer many opportunities for its black brethren, tensions between black and white parishioners did exist black Baptists, for example, were required to sit apart from whites in the galleries, and because of limited seating, many black parishioners were physically unable to fit in the church. And although there were black deacons, they were scrutinized by their white counterparts and their decisions were often superseded by the latter group. In 1841, black parishioners successfully petitioned to separate from First Baptist to the First African Baptist Church.


Turning Point: World War II

P. B. Young, editor of the Norfolk Journal and Guide, a black newspaper, spoke from the heart when he told white liberals, "Help us get some of the blessings of democracy here at home before you jump on the 'free other peoples' band wagon and tell us to go forth and die in a foreign land." First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The nation cannot expect the colored people to feel that the U.S. is worth defending if they continue to be treated as they are treated now." In spite of these contradictions, black Virginians were eager to join the armed forces. At first the military proved reluctant to enlist them or else assigned them to menial roles. But in time the army and navy increased opportunities for black men and women, and Richmond's Dimmeline Booth became one of the first black marines in 1943.

In 1940, 19 percent of black men were unemployed, and most black families lived in poverty. The huge defense buildup that began with the fall of France in June 1940 ended the Great Depression and brought back prosperity. But black Americans were denied an equal share. Using the slogan "We loyal Negro-American citizens demand the right to work and fight for our country," black Americans threatened to march on Washington to demand these rights. They forced President Franklin Roosevelt to issue Executive Order #8802, which opened government jobs and defense contract work to black Americans on the basis of equal pay for equal work. It was the first presidential action against discrimination since Reconstruction.

NAACP ad (Library of Congress)

The war years were tumultuous, but black men and women sensed that out of this ferment change might come. After the bleak racism of the 1920s and the economic disaster of the 1930s, there was hope. Black newspapers conceived the "Double V" campaign—victory over both America's enemies abroad and over Jim Crow segregation at home. In this hopeful atmosphere the NAACP increased the percentage of registered black voters in the South from 2 to 12 percent. Membership in the NAACP itself increased from 18,000 before the war to nearly 500,000 at its close.

As the Cold War began, America could not claim to be the defender of freedom and democracy when it practiced segregation and discrimination at home. President Harry Truman fully desegregated the armed forces in 1948, and a government report of 1947 called To Secure These Rights called for "the elimination of segregation from . . . American life." The stage was set for the civil rights movement.

Become a member! Enjoy exciting benefits and explore new exhibitions year-round.


McGuire’s Beginnings

An aerial view of the hospital complex, circa 1950 (Photo courtesy David Hodge)

Lt. Nora McCombs, from Baltimore and serving with the Army Nursing Corps, became a patient at Richmond’s new McGuire General Hospital during the summer of 1945 with what was obliquely described as a “foot ailment” by reporter Lloyd Bailey in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. McCombs developed the problem “hiking after forward-moving troops” in Europe during World War II.

She experienced several bombings during her assignment to the 45th General Hospital — a forward-lines care unit and MASH-style outfit staffed mainly by Richmonders. McCombs spent 16 months as a nurse during campaigns in North Africa and Italy before her injury. Bailey recorded 15 women then undergoing treatment at McGuire General Hospital with more than 1,000 beds. They came from the front lines with various ailments, from injuries caused by shell fragments and jeep accidents to “various tropical diseases and fever.”

Planning a Central Virginia location for a military hospital began in secret in April 1943 with meetings between the Richmond Chamber of Commerce and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

A program from the 1945 dedication of McGuire General Hospital (Image courtesy David Hodge)

On June 1, the Times-Dispatch quoted an unnamed U.S. War Department source: “A 1,750-bed hospital to take care of war casualties will be built in Virginia, and the probability is that it will be located in Richmond. … A War Department spokesman said he understood the hospital would cost about $4 million.” U.S. Rep. David E. Satterfield Jr. announced two weeks later that there had been some confusion — the War Department at first located the facility in its plans for Henrico County, but they meant Chesterfield, though an exact site wasn’t then named.

Before its purchase for $80,000, the property, now 1201 Broad Rock Blvd., was owned by Thomas Marcellus Cheatham (1870-1945), who built a home there in 1892. Before and after the Civil War, the land gained a reputation for its horse racing track.

In August, the Richmond contracting firm Doyle & Russell made a sufficient low bid for the construction of what was then a 1,785-bed hospital and 69 related structures. Five buildings were to be permanent structures for use by the Veterans Administration post-war. Another section of “standard mobilization” single-story brick buildings was likely to be dismantled afterward. Doyle & Russell’s wartime projects included Camp Lee (later Fort Lee), the Richmond Quartermaster Depot (Bellwood) and Camp Peary. The hospital’s construction required around-the-clock efforts of 4,000 workers.

The hospital’s namesake, Dr. Hunter McGuire (right), with staff at Richmond’s St. Luke’s Hospital, circa 1895 (Photo courtesy the Cook Collection, The Valentine)

McGuire’s amenities included a gymnasium, a movie theater, an auditorium, a barber shop, a beauty parlor, a fire department, a power plant and a soda fountain. A post office routed mail received at Newport News for delivery throughout the country. The hospital staff numbered close to 1,000 people.

The Times-Dispatch described how the hospital’s radio system featured direct lines from WRVA, WLEE and WRNL. “The system has six channels, and their radio programs can be piped in as desired. Also, the hospital has a large collection of phonograph records.” And organist Eddie Weaver organized a band for hospital entertainment.

McGuire General Hospital became a receiving center for wounded soldiers. Once stabilized, patients were generally transferred to another medical facility. A rail line from Newport News allowed for transportation from ships directly to the hospital. McGuire offered neurosurgery, for which it became known, brain and spine treatments, and amputations.

Naming the hospital after physician Hunter Holmes McGuire (1835-1900) seemed a natural fit. McGuire had served as medical officer for Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson’s command, but despite McGuire’s expertise, the limitations of mid-19th-century science couldn’t save Jackson after his accidental 1863 shooting. The amputation of Jackson’s left arm and the struggle to preserve his life transformed the 27-year-old McGuire, and he parlayed the experience, and his acumen, into a prosperous career.

In May 1862 in Winchester, he arranged to have captured Union physicians designated as noncombatants. The action put McGuire in good stead when he was captured and released by Union forces in 1865 — in time to surrender at Appomattox. His advocacy, and that of others in Europe, in support of granting military medical personnel special consideration during wartime influenced the original Geneva Conventions and became a founding principle of the International Red Cross.

On July 30, 1944, the first casualties from the Normandy invasion reached McGuire General Hospital. The Richmond News-Leader raised $20,154 to pay for long-distance phone calls home from the wounded men recently admitted.

The hospital also temporarily served as a treatment facility for captured and wounded German soldiers.

A hospital patient pictured on Thanksgiving, 1945 (Photo courtesy The Valentine)

At the end of the war, 21,299 Virginia veterans were discharged from military service, with around 200,000 still in uniform. Thousands of men and women affixed a bronze discharge button to their lapels, and young men supported by canes or crutches or in wheelchairs were mute evidence of victory’s price.

On March 31, 1946, the hospital joined the Veterans Administration as one of its branches, and McGuire began accepting as patients the veterans who otherwise would’ve entered private hospitals. In time, the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center established a reputation for treating patients with spinal cord and brain injuries. The facility was the first Veterans Administration hospital to perform heart transplant surgery in the 1970s, under the leadership of thoracic surgeon Szabolcs Szentpetery.

Significant expansions and modernizations have grown McGuire in terms of size, systems and programs. More than 5,000 patients, visitors, employees and volunteers pass through its doors daily. In 2012, the 2-million-square-foot main building received a $30 million upgrade, doubling the size of its dialysis unit and adding 20,000 square feet to treat traumatic brain injuries.

McGuire’s mission remains the care and well-being of those men and women whose bodies and minds require healing after fighting the nation’s battles.


Voir la vidéo: Ten Minute English and British History #14 - Richard II, The Black Death and the Peasants Revolt (Mai 2022).